Laugh lines and marionette lines
Smiling and laughing are one of the greatest joys in life. These can be etched into our faces over time as we age, making it seem like the joy never left our faces. There is nothing wrong with showing how much happiness you’ve had in life, but these lines can make us appear aged well beyond our years. At Zest Clinic, we can help smooth the lines out a little to give you a youthful and vibrant appearance.
What causes laugh lines and marionette lines?
Both laugh lines and marionette lines are caused by the following:
- Ageing: our skin starts to lose elasticity and collagen as we age. When this happens, our skin loses the ability to stretch and hold its shape, giving rise to wrinkles such as laugh lines and marionette lines.
- Sun exposure: sun exposure is very damaging to our skin. It causes wrinkles and other skin issues will occur. Applying good quality sunscreen must be part of our daily routine.
- Smoking: the constant pursing of your lips while smoking can cause deep set wrinkles to form. Smoking also destroys collagen and elastin, which also contributes to the formation of wrinkles and deep lines.
- Genetics: laugh lines and marionette lines can also be passed down from your parents.
How are laugh lines and marionette lines treated?
At Zest Clinic, we use a combination of dermal fillers and anti-wrinkle injections to lift the facial skin and smoothen out these lines.
- Dermal fillers: these fillers contain hyaluronic acid that helps to fill or plump up the skin, resulting in a smooth and wrinkle-free face.
- Anti-wrinkle injections: one common example of anti-wrinkle injections is Botox. These Botulinum neurotoxin injections help to relax the muscles at the treatment area, giving you a smooth appearance.
- Other injections like Aesthefill, Ellanse, Sculptra, Gouri PCL, Ultracol V play an important role in improving wrinkles too. Our doctors will advise you on the best treatment option for your issues.
Benefits of laugh lines and marionette lines removal
- No downtime
- Quick procedure
- Safe and effective
- Immediate results
- Youthful looking appearance after treatment
Suitable candidates for laugh lines and marionette lines removal in Singapore
Individuals with the following issues are suitable candidates for laugh lines and marionette lines removal:
- Deep set wrinkles at the nasolabial fold
- Deep set wrinkles at the melomental fold
Women who are pregnant and breastfeeding are not suitable candidates.
To get the best results of your procedure you must:
- Stop smoking: smoking has been known to reduce blood flow to the skin, increasing your chances of tissue damage, and hindering healing and recovery.
- Stop some medications: certain medications such as aspirins and anti-inflammatory drugs thin your blood making you more susceptible to bleeding during and after the procedure.
What results can I expect?
You should expect to see improvement in the treatment area immediately after the procedure. Swelling and bruising should resolve itself within a few days, leaving you with a smooth, wrinkle-free, and youthful looking face.
You must avoid the following after your treatment as they may result in more bruising and hinder your recovery:
- Physical activity
- Anti-inflammatory medications
How many treatment sessions are required?
Results from treatment with fillers or some anti-wrinkle injections are usually immediate. Some injections may need more than 2 sessions for long lasting results. However, some individuals may require a combination treatment with lasers depending on the severity of their issue.
For the best results, follow the advice of your doctor on post-treatment care.
Frequently asked questions
Nasolabial folds/laugh lines and marionette lines can be reduced but cannot be totally prevented because ageing plays a role in its development. Their appearance can be reduced by doing the following:
- Use good quality sunscreen
- Avoid smoking
- Moisturise your skin
- Apply retinol
- Maintain Skin thickness and collagen through skin boosters or energy based devices (ex: lasers, HIFU, RF)
- Healthy foods with adequate protein and micronutrients.
Incorporating these good habits into your daily routine can help to improve the texture and quality of your skin.
It depends. The best treatment depends on you and how your body responds to it. Our doctors at Zest Clinic will be able to guide you on the ideal treatment for your issues. Make an appointment with us today!
Some pain is to be expected at the treatment site. However, numbing cream can be applied before treatment begins. Dermal fillers also contain a numbing solution that helps alleviate any discomfort associated with the injections.
Fillers used to treat laugh lines and marionette lines last from six months to two years. Anti-wrinkle injections last from 3 months for neurotoxins to 2-5years for biostimulators like Ellanse.