Laser hair removal
Hair removal has become fairly common amongst both men and women. The only problem with hair removal is that it constantly grows back. At Zest, we can help you go hair-free with our laser hair removal treatment, negating the need for shaving, waxing, plucking, or epilating.
What is laser hair removal?
Laser hair removal is a procedure that removes unwanted hair using short pulses of laser beams. Common treatment areas are:
- Upper lip
- Bikini area
Laser hair removal also helps to prevent ingrown hairs, razor bumps, and acne breakouts that tend to occur after traditional hair removal options.
How does laser hair removal work?
Laser hair removal works by targeting the pigment in the hair. The short pulses of laser beams are converted to heat which then causes damage to the hair follicles, preventing or reducing their ability to grow hair.
At Zest, our laser hair removal involves the use of the following:
- Broadband light therapy: also known as BBL™ therapy, it is a non-invasive treatment option for hair removal. At Zest, we use BBL™ Hero for our patients. It works by using light energy to target hair follicles.
- Laser: one of the most sought-after treatments for hair removal, lasers work by targeting hair follicles and preventing or reducing their ability for future hair growth. At Zest, our Fotona Dynamis laser uses heat to target hair follicles without affecting surrounding skin.
Before your laser hair removal treatment at Zest, numbing cream will be applied to the area to alleviate any discomfort you may feel during the procedure.
Benefits of laser hair removal
- Safe and effective
- Precise targeting
- Long-term solution
- No downtime
- Low maintenance
- No/little side effects
- Quick procedure
Suitable candidates for laser hair removal
Individuals with the following are suitable candidates for laser hair removal:
- Unwanted hair
- Dark hair and light skin
- Not recently tanned or sunburned
Pregnant or breastfeeding women are not suitable candidates for laser hair removal.
Make an appointment with us and our doctors at Zest will be able to advise you on the feasibility of laser hair removal for you.
What results can I expect?
Results of laser hair removal are dependent on a few factors such as treatment area, colour and thickness of the hair, and the colour of your skin. However, you can expect to see some results (approximately 10-25% hair reduction) after your first treatment.
The results of laser hair removal are not uniform amongst everyone, individuals with light skin and dark hair experience the best results. This is because the pigment of the hair should be the one to absorb the laser and not the skin. Darker pigments absorb better and quicker than lighter pigments. Results are also dependent on the colour of your hair; individuals with grey, red, blond, or white hair may experience less effective results.
For the best results, you must observe the following:
- Stop smoking: smoking has been known to reduce blood flow to the skin, increasing your chances of tissue damage, and hindering healing and recovery.
- Stop some medications: certain medications such as aspirins and anti-inflammatory drugs thin your blood making you more susceptible to bleeding during and after the procedure.
- Avoid the sun for two to four weeks before your appointment
- Do not use any skin lightening products on your skin
- Avoid plucking, waxing, or epilating your hair before your appointment
- Gently shave the area to remove all hair before your appointment
- Remove all moisturiser or deodorant used on the area
- Use a cold compress to reduce swelling
- Avoid exercise, saunas, and massages for at least one week post-treatment
- Avoid direct sun exposure or tanning beds
- Use good quality sunscreen
How many treatment sessions are required?
More than one treatment is required for laser hair removal. While some individuals notice a 10-25% reduction of hair after one treatment, most individuals require two to six sessions to notice complete hair removal from the treatment area. Once this occurs, you may notice no hair growth in the treatment area for months or even years. If hair does grow, you may have follow-up laser treatments. Individuals should leave four to six weeks between each session to allow the skin to heal.
Each hair removal session can last anywhere from a few minutes to an hour, this depends on the location of hair removal and amount of hair that needs to be removed. This takes into consideration consultation with our doctors, numbing cream application, laser removal, and after care instructions.
Frequently asked questions
Laser hair removal is considered a safe and effective procedure; however, some individuals may experience the following side effects:
- Mid discomfort
Yes, you will experience some mild discomfort during your laser hair removal procedure. In addition to numbing cream, you may also consider taking some over the counter, non-aspirin painkillers. You must always avoid aspirin containing products as these can result in excessive bleeding during and after treatment.
No. But it is a long-term solution because hair does not regrow for months or even years after laser hair removal treatment.